Born in Grottaglie in 1956.
1 July 2021–Present President of the Italian Civil Aviation Authority, ENAC
2 June 2013 Commander of the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic
1984 Law Degree University of Rome La Sapienza
1984-1989 State’s Attorney with professional experience working at the District Legal Offices of Catanzaro, Bologna, and Rome.
1989-1991 State Lawyer in Florence offices
1991 December State Lawyer in Rome at the State Attorney General’s offices.
1993 January-July Chief of Staff for the President of Emilia-Romagna Region
1994 May-1995 January Head of the Legislative Office for the Ministry of Trade & Craft Industry
1998 November 2003-October 2003 Director General of the Italian Civil Aviation Authority (E.N.A.C.)
2011February-2014 February 2014 Vice Secretary General of the Ministry of Defense
Main activities include the following:
- Legal Advisor of the Ministry of Transportation (December 1986 – July 1987; October 1995 – June 1998);
- Legal Advisor of the Ministry of the Environment (July 1987 – May 1992);
- Member as an expert in administrative rights on the Technical-Scientific Committee formed as a result of Art. 15 of Law n. 441/87, regarding refuse disposal (November 1987 – December 1991);
- Expert on the Technical Committee of the Inter-Regional Authority Reno River Basin (July 1991 – November 1995);
- Member of the National Committee of the National Register of Companies performing disposal services, formed according to Art. 10 of Law 441/87 (December 1991 – June 1995);
- Member of Observatory of Regional Policies (Art 4, D. Lgs. n. 96/93) as a recognized and independent expert by the Conference of Region Presidents (September 1993 – March 1996);
- Legal Advisor of the Ministry of Trade & Craft Industry (November 1993 – May 1994);
- Member of the Investigative Committee formed by General Domenico Corcione, Ministry of the Defense, regarding corruption reported in the Armed Forces (January 1996 – July 1997);
- President of the Inter-Ministerial Committee for the Security of Airports (C.I.S.A.) (October 2001 – September 2003);
- Head of EUrice, Unitarian Office of Attorneys for the Community and European institutions, ENAC and ENAV (July 2003 – July 2006);
- Subject actuator of the emergency in the Sacco River basin area between the Provinces of Rome and Frosinone regarding the socio-economic-environmental crisis declared by the DPCM on 19 May 2005 (2005 – 2011);
- Implementing Body for urgent interventions for the relocation of all the automobile demolition & scrapping centers of the city of Rome according to the provisions of OPCM n. 3473 of 2 September 2005 (2005 – 2011);
- Legal Advisor of the Italian Space Agency, (from May 2007 to January 2012);
- Member of the Appeals Board of the European Space Agency, ESA (from December 2011 to December 2017).
- Member of the Oversight Committee of the Flotta Lauro Group in Controlled Administration (from November 1994 to December 2019);
- President of the Supervisory Committee of Form S.p.A. in Special Administration (from May 2017)
- President of the Supervisory Board by Legislative Decree n. 231, 8 June 2001, of Centostazioni S.p.A.(from December 2006 to June 2017);
- President of the Supervisory Board by Legislative Decree n. 231 of 8 June 2001, of the Italian Aerospace Research Center (C.I.R.A.), (from 2009 to 2015);
- President of the Independent Assessment Body of ENAC (in 2015);
- Member of the Supervisory Board by Legislative Decree n. 231 of 8 June 2001, of the Venezia Nuova Consortium (from May 2017);
- President of the Supervisory Board by Legislative Decree n. 231 of 8 June 2001 of SAVE spa (from April 2013 to June 2021);
- President of the Supervisory Board by Legislative Decree n. 231 of 8 June 2001 of Valerio Catullo spa (from April 2016 to June 2021);
- Legal Advisor of the Special Commissioner for the implementation of operations for the collection of urban sewage and sewage treatment (fromJune 2018 to June 2021).
From 2006, the date if its founding, President of the Centro Studi DE.ME.TRA. (Development of European Mediterranean Transportation), which aims to promote educational, legal, administrative, and economic initiatives in the air transportation sector, and more in general the aerospace field.
Publications: in 2004 “Il trasporto aereo nell’Europa e nelle Regioni“; in 2006 “il Diritto degli aeroporti nel processo di liberalizzazione e privatizzazione del trasporto aereo“; in 2008 “Dossier Malpensa“; in 2015 “ENAC 2.0 Le Authorities aeroportuali ai sensi del regolamento UE n. 139/2014” (proceedings of the Demetra Conference of 9 July 2015); in 2017 “Governance del trasporto aereo – trasformazione giuridica dell’ENAC”; in 2018 “Port Authority – privatizzazione e integrazione aeroportuale”.